first_img Help by sharing this information Latin America’s community radio – a key service but vulnerable News Organisation September 18, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for parliamentary enquiry into spying on journalists Intelligence chief resignsPrime Minister Beatriz Merino announced at a press conference on 17 September that the government had accepted the resignation of Alfonso Panizo Zariquiey, the head of the Peruvian intelligence service, the CNI. The government had no intention of spying on journalists, she said. Panizo will be replaced by retired general Daniel Mora Zevallos, who will be the seventh person to hold the post in two years.______________________________16.09.2003Reporters Without Borders today called for a parliamentary enquiry into alleged spying by the Peruvian intelligence agency, the Consejo Nacional de Inteligencia (CNI), on journalists working for “Ventana Indiscreta” (Indiscreet Window), a programme on the privately-owned TV station Frecuencia Latina, and journalists with other TV stations. The allegations were made by Ventana Indiscreta in a broadcast on 14 September.”The CNI’s alleged actions are serious because they jeopardise the confidentiality of sources, the cornerstone of press freedom and investigative journalism.” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said in a letter to congressional president Henry Pease García.”It is unacceptable that the CNI’s chairman, Alfonso Panizo Zariquiey, should try to justify the use of totally illegal and illegitimate methods by citing the need to identify those responsible for internal leaks,” Ménard added.In its 14 September broadcast, Ventana Indiscreta showed two internal reports allegedly written by the CNI. The first, entitled “Enrique 2003” and dated 18 August 2003, indicated there was a plan to identify government employees who were supplying the press with classified information on senior CNI officials. It contained details (background, qualifications, address, phone numbers and e-mail addresses) of members of the Ventana Indiscreta team headed by Enrique Flor Zappler and it accused Flor Zappler of hiring private security companies with a judge’s complicity to tap the telephones of senior CNI officials and other officials.The second report, entitled “Enrique II,” covered the CNI’s surveillance of Flor Zappler and said there had been a “detailed investigation” of incoming and outgoing calls from the Ventana Indiscreta offices. Cecilia Valenzuela, the programme’s presenter, said the following journalists had also been subject to surveillance: Cesar Hildebrandt, presenter of the programme “La Boca del Boco” (The Wolf’s Mouth) on Frecuencia Latina; Juan Carlos Tafur, editor of the daily Correo; and Jaime de Althaus, presenter of the news programme “La Hora N” on the cable TV station Canal N.In an interview carried by the daily El Comercio on 15 September, CNI chairman Panizo Zariquiey acknowledged that the reports shown on the TV programme were authentic when he said his intelligence agency did not want to target the press but just wanted to identify which of its employees were guilty of leaking information.”The reports broadcast on Cecilia Valenzuela’s programme were leaked by employees of this agency who want to have my head and destabilize the CNI,” Panizo Zariquiey said on Canal N. He also announced there would be an investigation into those who wrote the reports, and he claimed to have been previously unaware of their existence. News Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites December 4, 2019 Find out more China’s diplomats must stop attacking media over coronavirus reporting to go furthercenter_img News February 10, 2017 Find out more Receive email alerts PeruAmericas RSF_en Follow the news on Peru April 1, 2020 Find out more News PeruAmericas last_img read more

first_imgThe strong batting prowess of teachers from the parish of St Catherine will be on display against the defending champions Westmoreland in the Jamaica Teachers Association (JTA)/Errol Miller Twenty20 cricket final at the Ultimate Jerk Centre, Discovery Bay, St. Ann today at 1 p.m.Both teams emerged winners after the semi-finals played at the same venue on April 1.St Catherine defeated Portland by ten wickets in their semi-final. Batting first, Portland made 52 all out and St Catherine replied with 55 without loss.In the second semi-final, Westmoreland defeated St Andrew by five runs. Westmoreland made 132 for five before dismissing St Andrew for 127.The winners of this year’s competition will receive the Errol Miller trophy.Special prizes will be presented to the player who scores the most runs and the player who takes the most wickets in the final.last_img read more

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest A recent “#BLOGMEETSBEEF” program highlighting the Pasture to Plate Experience, sponsored by four state beef councils and the Beef Checkoff Program, has helped increase knowledge of beef and beef production among 14 key food bloggers. The event was held this spring in Columbus, Ohio, and funded by the Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin Beef Councils. It was also supported by the family-owned Meijer supermarket chain, which carries only Certified Angus Beef.The bloggers invited to the event came from across the four states and are followed on their blogs by consumers throughout the United States. They represent a wide range of cooking and family interests, and regularly share knowledge and recipes with other consumers with an appreciation for food, reaching more than 984,000 people on multiple social platforms, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.The event began with a tour of the Claylick Run Farm, an Angus seedstock and grain operation located in Licking County. A presentation from a veterinarian provided key points about necessary animal health aspects of beef production, and was followed by dinner at an upscale casual steakhouse. The following day, the bloggers learned about Meijer meat operations, and were treated to presentations on cutting and cooking beef. They received tips on food photography, and put their own culinary skills to the test in a “Battle of the Beef” Cookoff and Photo Shoot.“This was a tremendous opportunity to reach out to food enthusiasts who reach thousands of consumers on a daily basis,” said Angie Horkan, director of marketing for the Wisconsin Beef Council. “They came away with a huge appreciation for what it takes to bring beef to America’s dinner tables.”In fact, pre- and post-event surveys showed the experience had a tremendous influence on how participants view the beef industry, and how they will use their new information in the future. All bloggers said after the event that they believed the positives either strongly (93%) or somewhat (7%) outweigh the negatives of beef. Furthermore, all said the experience prepared them to communicate simple, healthy ways of incorporating beef either extremely (79%) or very (21%) well.“While every consumer would benefit from directly experiencing the beef industry, that isn’t feasible,” said Elizabeth Harsh, executive director of the Ohio Beef Council. “The next best option is to give those who interact with consumers that opportunity, and that’s what we did here.”This type of partnerships between state beef councils helps extend the beef checkoff, according to Alison Smith, who coordinates foodservice and retail programs for the Kentucky Beef Council.“By working together, we can build on the success of the national program and on our individual state programs,” she said.The “BLOGMEETSBEEF Pasture to Plate Experience” is also one way state beef councils and the Beef Checkoff Program are addressing the beef industry’s Long Range Plan, which calls for the industry to grow consumer trust in beef and beef production by increasing opportunities for food industry influencers to get first-hand experiences with beef producers and beef production practices.last_img read more

first_img State Rep. Brandt Iden this week secured final legislative approval for $500,000 to support the Seita Scholars Program at Western Michigan University – an initiative allowing more foster care youth to attend college.The program provides scholarships for students with foster care backgrounds to attend WMU. The $500,000 in state aid would cover costs for an additional 50 students. This is the first time the program has received state support, Iden said.“It’s a great program for individuals who have gone through the foster care system, and this funding will create an opportunity for even more kids to participate,” said Iden, of Oshtemo Township. “The Seita Scholars initiative opens doors to a better future for kids from across the state. I’ve personally met some of these students and they’re phenomenal. I’m a big believer in the program and am proud to advocate for all the good it does.”Iden employed a Seita Scholars alum in his legislative office during his first term in the Michigan House.“Unfortunately, national statistics show not many kids from the foster care system get college degrees. Programs like Seita Scholars will turn that around,” Iden said. “It changes lives for the better, one kid at a time.”The budget bills are headed to Gov. Rick Snyder for his consideration. 13Jun Rep. Iden secures funding to create opportunities for students with foster care backgrounds at WMU Categories: Iden News,Newslast_img read more