first_imgNASCAR Photo Galleries: • Fans Auto Club 500: One | Two | Three Complete coverage: Motor Sports Despite a strong, promising potential podium finish, he ended up eighth. He was penalized with a drive-through penalty down pit road at 55 mph on the next lap – while everyone else went by at 200 mph – and he re-entered the race in 23rd place. By the time all the pit stops had cycled through, Stewart was in 17th place, just more than 25 seconds – about half a track length – behind eventual winner Matt Kenseth. Stewart also had one of the cars to beat last week at Daytona, and also was penalized for speeding in the pits. He was involved in an accident with Kurt Busch in that race and finished 43rd, and last. “I was 300 RPM under,” he said of Sunday’s pit-road speed. “I don’t know … Unless the line is a spot that I don’t know where it’s at. They’ve got the computer stuff and it tells you exactly when and where.” There were no caution periods for the next 50 laps. Stewart was consistently running a second faster than leader Kenseth, but he was just too far back to make a run for the lead. “Tony was strong at times, but Matt had the car to beat,” said Jeff Gordon, who finished in second place. Stewart was up to 10th place when caution finally came, at Lap 227, for debris. He took four tires and went out in ninth place, and was up to seventh with 17 laps left. When David Reutimann crashed with seven laps to go, bringing out a red flag for 15 minutes, 8 seconds, Stewart opted to take four tires and fuel when the yellow flag came back out. “We had to do something,” he said. “We knew the guys behind us were going to take tires. We were kind of right in the middle of a cut-off point. We knew a certain amount of guys were going to take four and the rest of them were going to stay out that were a little farther up there. So we just took the chance.” He exited the pits with four laps to go in 12th place. He moved up one position each subsequent lap. But there was just too much traffic to get to the front of the pack. He’s won one of the Southern California titles he has sought – the Turkey Night Grand Prix for USAC Midget Cars at Irwindale Speedway – but he still hasn’t won what many would consider a bigger prize. “That’s definitely a high priority for me this year,” he said of the races at the four Cup tracks where he has not been a winner. “I like the California track, but we have not had much luck there. It’s just something we haven’t been able to put the whole day together at California to make that happen.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! FONTANA – Tony Stewart is still California dreamin’. The two-time NASCAR Nextel Cup Series champion once again had one of the fastest cars at California Speedway but – like it always seems to happen – he ended up empty on a cool, windy Sunday afternoon in the Auto Club 500. center_img “I don’t know (if we had the car to beat),” Stewart said. “We had a chance. We had a good race car.” Stewart has never won at California Speedway in 16 races in three different series. His best finish in Cup was the 1999 race when he was fourth. His best finish at the track was second in the 2004 Busch Series race. It just seems like trouble follows Stewart whenever he’s on the two-mile Fontana oval. He was running second in the spring race last year when his engine blew. He finished 43rd and last. He’s been near the lead in other races at Fontana when his car experienced engine problems. Sunday, Stewart was once again in the lead when disaster struck. But this time, it had nothing to do with the engine. On green-flag pit stops with just less than 100 laps to go, NASCAR computers had Stewart going too fast at the entrance of pit road, where the speed is 55 mph. Radio communication indicated he was going 60.92 mph in the middle of pit road and NASCAR allows for a grace speed of an extra 5 mph. last_img read more

first_imgEven Imus admits he crossed the line with his “nappy-headed ho’s” comment about the Rutgers women’s basketball team, which earned his show a two-week suspension. On Tuesday, Rutgers’ president and basketball coach condemned Imus’ “despicable” remarks and announced that the team would meet with the embattled radio personality. But economics often trumps emotion in an anything-goes business where such stars as Imus have earned local radio stations and major media companies millions of dollars with their outrageous antics. “Radio is where the hippest, most spontaneous pop culture exists, so it’s therefore the place with the most controversy,” Harrison said. “People are constantly dealing with crossing the line.” Both feet in mouth And then tripping over that ever-shifting marker, falling face-first into unemployment or anonymity after inserting both feet into their endlessly chattering mouths: NEW YORK – Five years ago, Opie and Anthony were booted from the nation’s airwaves for a stunt in which a couple had sex in St. Patrick’s Cathedral. On Tuesday morning, the shock jocks were back on the air, riffing on Don Imus. The latest collision of outrageous radio and outraged listeners is business as usual for morning radio, where jocks walking the line between bad taste and big ratings continually reinvent the art of self-destruction. “The question is not `How far can we go?”‘ said Michael Harrison, publisher of the trade magazine Talkers. “It’s always been, `Go as far as we can go.’ And then you start testing the line again.” “The only rule is there are no rules,” said Ron Kuby, the liberal co-host of a morning show on right-leaning WABC-AM. “Once you get beyond the FCC, a host is left to the discretion of a program director, station manager, bosses they’ve never seen, advertisers and a fickle public. What might be fine today results in a boycott tomorrow.” Last May, DJ Star of the New York-based “Star & Buc Wild Morning Show” was fired after threatening to sexually abuse a rival DJ’s 4-year-old daughter. For bad measure, he offered to urinate on the child and directed racial slurs at the girl’s part-Asian mother. One year earlier, a three-minute musical “parody” about the killer south Asian tsunami led to the termination of New York-based Hot 97’s morning show co-host and a producer. The same station paid a $240,000 settlement over a promotion dubbed “Smackfest,” in which women slapped each other for cash and prizes. In February 2004, popular Florida radio host Bubba the Love Sponge was fired for offensive material that included cartoon characters such as George Jetson and Scooby Doo discussing sexual high jinks. Multiple offenders Greg “Opie” Hughes and Anthony Cumia were tossed off WNEW-FM in 2002 after the infamous St. Patrick’s Cathedral stunt. They were fired four years earlier in Massachusetts for a misguided April Fools’ joke in which they announced that Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino was killed in a car crash. And radio’s biggest star, Howard Stern, always paid the biggest obscenity fines for his morning show before jumping to the unregulated haven of satellite radio. Along with bad taste, most perpetrators had something else in common: They aired in morning drive time, the most lucrative advertising slot for any radio station. An old radio mantra posits that as goes the morning, so goes the rest of the day. “Stations want someone edgy and controversial, who creates cooler talk at the office,” said Paul Heine, executive director of Billboard’s Radio & Records. “It’s a quick route to ratings success, but it’s a double-edged sword. If you’re out on a tightrope, you can fall over.” Cheap shots abound For Imus, with his national television audience and more than 70 stations for his syndicated radio show, controversy is nothing new – his longtime shtick includes cheap shots at people of every race, color and creed. He reinvented himself years ago by bringing aboard A-list politicians, authors and journalists, although remnants of the past lingered on the program. Harrison said radio has long served as an outpost for envelope-pushing material, dating back to the early days of rock ‘n’ roll with DJs such as Allen Freed – long before Stern launched his first “Lesbian Dial-A-Date.” On their show Tuesday morning, which airs on both satellite and terrestrial radio, Opie and Anthony were offering their support for Imus – but also joking about taking over his slot should the veteran broadcaster get the ax. Unless, of course, the pair gets fired first.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

first_imgDaniel O Donnell is pushing RTÉ presenter Ryan Tubridy to take part in Dancing with the Stars and has hinted that this years series of Dancing with the Stars will be the most star-studded yet…Daniel took part in Strictly Come Dancing last year, working with professional dancer Kristina Rihanoff. While talking to Ryan Tubridy on RTÉ Radio One, he said; “What would Ireland be if Ryan didn’t go on Dancing with the Stars? We’re really looking forward to seeing you in the sparkly shirts.”“I’m sure here in Ireland, for the first year at least, they’re going to have the pick of the crop as far as well known people. That’s why I’m putting you out there”Daniel also revealed that “we’ll know all the people on it very well.”There have been rumours that celebrities such as Twink, Katie Taylor, Joe Brolly, Eoghan McDermott and Nadine Coyle, will take part in the show. Daniel O Donnell hints that this year’s ‘Dancing with the Stars’ will be the most star-studded yet… was last modified: September 2nd, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dancing with the starsdaniel o donnellIrelandStrictly Come Dancinglast_img read more